There’s no clear-cut answer to knowing how cold your residential or commercial refrigerator should be. No one size fits all. Instead, there are a few of factors that come into play. The most important factors being what’s the purpose of your refrigerator and what does it, or will it be storing?
Want to know how cold your refrigerator should ideally be?
Read more from those who know Perth commercial refrigeration, Allfield Refrigeration and Mechanical, to find out.
The standard temperature of a commercial refrigerator
A standard rule of thumb, across the world, is to keep your refrigerator below 4 degrees Celsius, but warmer than zero. So, naturally, a refrigerator functioning around the 2 or 3 degrees Celsius mark is ideal.
The nitty gritty:
- Dairy products like cheese and butter can be stored at 8 degrees Celsius
- Beer and wine can be stored at around the 2 degrees Celsius mark
- At 3 degrees Celsius, your fresh food provisions won’t spoil because they’re too warm, nor will they freeze from being too cold.
- And what about your commercial freezer? Well, that should comfortably sit (and stay) around -18 degrees Celsius, so that the food remains frozen, with no risk of thawing.
Now that you have a grasp on the ideal refrigerator temperatures, let’s now look at some considerations to make.
How much energy does a commercial refrigerator really use?
Your commercial refrigerator works undeniably hard to keep your fresh produce and products refrigerated. In fact, it runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – no doubt 365 days of the year, too, keeping everything inside at roughly the 3 degrees Celsius mark.
Considerations to make:
- Do you really need a big commercial refrigerator?
- A smaller commercial refrigerator can use up to 360 kwh per year which will probably equate to just over $100 a year
- On the other hand, a 700L refrigerator using up to 1360 kwh a year has the potential to set you back around $450 a year.
Of course, the more energy efficient your commercial refrigerator is, the easier it will operate all day, every day. Need help? Your local Allfield Refrigeration technician is happy to advise.
The warning signs to look out for
There are two troubling signs that indicate your commercial refrigerator needs an urgent service.
What are they?
- Thawed or warmer food
Food or products that are supposed to be frozen but coming out unfrozen (thawed) is more than an inconvenience. It could be a health hazard.
- An unexpected energy bill increase
If there’s a surprising spike to your business’ power bill and your refrigerated food products aren’t as cold as they’re supposed to be, it’s time to put two and two together.
Allfield Refrigeration and Mechanical are the commercial refrigeration experts your business should count on. We’re here to install, service, repair and replace everything to do with commercial refrigeration and air conditioning in Perth.
Need a commercial refrigerator service?
Contact Allfield Refrigeration and Mechanical today to organise a fast, friendly and efficient Perth commercial refrigeration technician to your site.